Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Grandma

On February 27th my Grandma Mahlum went home to Jesus. As much as my heart hurts at the thought of not getting to see her when I go to Longview, I know without a shadow of a doubt that she is sitting at the feet of her Savior praising Him. I also know that she was welcomed home with the words, "Well done My good and faithful servant."

Grandma and Grandpa on their wedding day. They were married for 62 years.

I grew up in the same town as my grandma and grandpa Mahlum. (I even lived just a few blocks away from them throughout high school.) They were both a very big part of my growingup. They were both great examples of the Christian walk. They prayed daily for family, friends, and many others in need. They served the people God put in their lives faithfully and selflessly.

My Grandma was usually in one of three places in her home. In the kitchen baking rolls or even cinnamon rolls (the BEST ever), in her rocking chair in the living room crocheting, or in the extra bedroom sewing. She also loved gardening, flowers and vegetables. I remember her always sending me outside with a bowl to pick some blueberries for her. Of course most of them ended up in my tummy and not the bowl but she always knew that would be the outcome. For as long as I can remember, Grandma reminded of the grandmas in storybooks. Her long hair was always in braids that she wore like a crown circled on her head, her house was always warm from baking and she would sit in her rocking chair crocheting. I even wrote a poem in high school about her for Mother's Day one year.

A more recent visit with Grandma in November.

I am so thankful that I was able to learn how to make lefse this past Christmas with her supervising to make sure I was getting it right. I am also SO thankful that I was able to spend some time with her the weekend before she passed away. She has left a large family (9 kids, 28 grandkids, and 36 great grandkids) and we all have been blessed to have her as an example of how to walk with Jesus.

The Mahlum kids: Kerm, Esther, Marg, Dale (Pete), Al, Jim, Wanda, Faith, and Cindy. (oldest to youngest)

2 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Oh Kim...I'm so sorry. I know you'll miss your Grandma. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to come down and spend that last weekend with her. She sounds like a wonderful lady that was a blessing to everyone she encountered. My thoughts and prayers are with you.