Monday, October 27, 2008

Twenty Years Ago Today...

...it was the big Homecoming football game. There was a dance after the football game and I once again went with my friends. I remember standing at my friends locker as a slow song began to play and complaining that I hated slow songs because I never had anyone to dance with. Shelly then pointed out that Dean had just come around the corner and that I should ask him to dance. So.....I did! (Wait, wasn't I the one who was always to shy to talk to a boy?) And not only did I ask him to dance but he said yes! AND... I ended up asking him to dance like three or four more times that night.


At school the next week, I was walking around with Shelly and she asked me if Dean had called me the night before. I thought "surely she's joking." I probably said something to the effect of "yeah right, why would he call me?" She told me that he had called her to get my phone number. As I was about to tell her to stop joking with me, Dean walked up beside me and said hi and then proceeded to tell me that he had tried to call me the night before. Completely in shock, I told him that I had been at band practice. He then asked if he could call me that night. So began our time of getting to know each other, talking on the phone and at school. I was 15 at the time and it had always been known that I wasn't going to get to start dating until I was 16, and that was about 4 months away.

Here I am most likely talking to Dean

1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

I love that you asked him to dance, even though you were a bit shy. I sort of surprised myself as well when I first met Derek, by being the one to invite him out with my friends for the evening. Important things like cute guys are worth overcoming a bit of shyness for. ;)