Monday, December 22, 2008

More of My Favorite Ornaments

So I said that I would post some more of my favorite Christmas tree ornaments and I almost forgot. So here they are:


This one is from a friend of mine who is a missionary in Kenya. She was one of the girls in a Bible study I was a part of my first two years in college. That group of ladies has, and always will, a special place in my heart. I am awed at the work Tracy is doing in Kenya for God's kingdom and feel very blessed to call her friend. She has been there for 6 years so far. I can't remember what year she sent this but it has been on our tree ever since.

These next two ornaments are what we gave the guests at our wedding 14 years ago. My mom wrote our names and the date on each one by hand (thanks mom!). I am not sure how many people actually took one that night because we ended up having quite a few left over. In fact, about 90% of our first tree, a year later, was decorated in these "Kim & Dean" ornaments. A couple of years later, our small group had a white elephant gift exchange and one lucky person took home a big box full of them. Unfortunately, at the same party the next year we ended up getting them back. Now we just have these two so I am making sure they get stored carfully.

The boys get a new ornament every year from us and Dean's parents so there are a lot of memories on our tree. I limited myself to just picking one from each boy and actually found a couple that were from them instead. This cute little angel Jake is from 1999. A friend of mine, Shannon, had watched Jake for me one day and when I came to pick him up she gave me this sweet little guy telling me that Jake had made it for me. He is just too cute!

These next two pictures go together. This is an ornament that Austin made for us when he was in kidergarten. I have a few different hand print gifts from the boys that have similar poems with them but I will never get tired of seeing how cute and little their hands were once.

These are Griffen's ornaments that he got in 2004, his first Christmas, and 2005 (I think). I love these two because they sum him up at that age. He LOVED to jump in his doorway jumper and I even began calling him my Tigger. When he got to be two he still loved to jump around and really loved it when I would sing the Tigger song while he jumped. (The wonderful thing about Tiggers, is Tiggers are wonderful things. Their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs. Their bouncy, flouncy, trouncy, pouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is [your] the only one. Whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo)

The last ornament is one of about ten or so that my Grandma Mahlum made. They are all different shapes, sizes, and designs. I liked to watch her crochet as I was growing up and I enjoy getting these out every year and putting them on our tree because I know that they were made with lots and lots of love.

No comments: