Tuesday, December 16, 2008

On This Day Twenty Years Ago...

...I was getting ready for my first date. I know, you all are probably saying, "Wait a minute, I thought she couldn't date until she was sixteen. It hasn't been four months since her last anniversary post." Well you are correct, it hasn't been four months, but my mom and dad decided that they would allow me to go on my first date three months early. The Winter Ball at our school was on December 17, 1988 and my parents said that I could go as long as Dean came a little early to pick me up so that they could meet him.

My mom and I took a special trip up north to find my very first formal dress. We looked at a lot but found this blue one and I fell in love with it. Saturday night, my mom helped me get ready and Dean arrived about a half an hour before our dinner reservations. We exchanged Christmas presents and he got to know my parents a little and they got to know him a bit. We went to a "fancy" restaurant close to my house with Dean's best friend and his girlfriend then we were off to the dance. It was a fun evening capped off with dessert after with more friends. Who would have guessed that night that...



Six Years Later, on December 17, 1994....

We would be getting married! It honestly wasn't planned to be on the six year anniversary of our first date, it just was. We had gotten engaged almost two years before while we were living about two hours apart (a story I will save for THAT anniversary).


Our first intention was to both finish college and then have a couple of months to find jobs then get married. Well that put our wedding around August of 2005. After about 8 months, we both felt that the long engagement thing was getting rediculous so we started looking at our options. We were still at different colleges, I was at UW and Dean was in Ellensburg at Central, neither one of us wanted to be in Ellensburg or Seattle but we both liked the Bellingham area (Dean's sister and her husband lived here). So Dean looked into transfering and I looked into getting done early since I really did want to finish at UW. When we saw that I could get done a quarter early (two if I did a summer quarter) we picked two dates. One in March and the only one really an option in December (the 17th). The next step was to ask my parents about summer school. When mom found out that we wanted to get married sooner, she was really excited about a Christmas wedding. (Summer school here I come!)

All dressed and ready to go!

The last few week before the wedding were crazy as I finished up my classes, started packing up things at my apartment, and finished wedding details. Any time poor Dean came to Seattle, I sent him back with whatever I could live without for my remaining time there.



Anyway, The Big Day finally arrived. I was so excited and didn't think I was nervous until I was finally able to see Dean. He came in to "see" me for the first time and then everyone gave us a few minutes to be alone. That few minutes calmed my jitters that I didn't even know I had. It was the best day! I got to marry my best friend. The one I had waited to marry for six years. And now, after three and a half years of long distance relationship, we were going to be together for the rest of our lives. (what an adjustment that was, to now be living under the same roof after three and a half years of living two hours apart).

Entering as a single woman.

Leaving as husband and wife!

I feel so blessed to have Dean as my husband. He truly is my best friend and is an amazing daddy to his boys. He works so hard for us and I really, really appreciate him! Happy Anniversary Babe! I Love You!



If you missed any of the other anniversary posts they are:

here - part two

here - part three

1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are such a beautiful couple. :)