Friday, September 11, 2009

A Big Day for My Little Man

Today was Griffen's first day of kindergarten. He has been looking forward to going to "the big" school like his brothers. He is in the afternoon class so he didn't get to leave for school with his brothers but that was OK because Griff and mom spent the morning cuddling on the couch watching our old favorite cartoons (Mickey Mouse, Handy Manny...gotta love Disney). This morning was eventful as well. He has been wiggling one of his teeth for the past week or so and it was getting REALLY lose. Well this morning he noticed a leftover cookie and asked to have it. I bargained with him, let me pull the tooth and he could have the whole cookie. It took a few times to convince him but the temptation of the yummy cookie (thanks for leaving them Andrea!) won and he opened wide and out came the tooth.

He was a little mad at me because it took more than one tug, but after a few minutes he turned to me and said, "I'm so glad you pulled my tooth out mom." He told anyone who called our house after that about his tooth, and that he was going to school today.

So the time finally arrived. I think he was sure that he was going to go up all on his own (just like Jake and Austin) but was OK with walking with mom.

Afternoon kinders start out by going to the cafeteria and eating lunch. There is about a ten minute overlap of his class and the 5th graders, so he got to see Jake there. He was pretty excited about that too. He had no fears going to the hand washing station by himself, waving to teachers he knew and taking his garbage to the trash all on his own. I on the other hand just watched in awe of my little man (that and thinking of ways to possibly embarrass my 5th grader...I didn't actually do it).

Finally we were off to the classroom to meet his teacher. Her name is Miss Hubner but I love how he says Miss Hub-in-er. He found a couple of friends from preschool in his class and his preschool teacher was even there helping Miss Hubner out too.

He was so proud to be there and still showed off his lost tooth to anyone who would listen. At the end of school, when we picked him up, his teacher said he did great and was such an easy kiddo. We got a similar statement from Aussie's teacher tonight at the Back to School Spaghetti Feed (I'm one proud mama). So the school year is off to a great start. Now I need to go find the Tooth Fairy, she owes a little man some money tonight.

No comments: