Thursday, July 23, 2009

Come into the Kitchen for a Latte...

There are two ways into our kitchen. The first, and probably most used, is the door to the right of the stairs as you come up to the main floor. This picture above was taken from that doorway. That's my desk there with the all-important cork boards above that hold all of the necessary things I need to know (mostly school stuff for the boys). The picture below is also from the doorway and shows one of my favorite things in the kitchen...the pot rack. It gained me some much needed cupboard space. My sweet hubby even crawled through the attic to put in the supports we needed to hang it.

We did a fair amount of work changing things in here about 7 years ago. We painted the cupboards, which use to be the early 80s brown, and added the hardware to them. We painted the walls which we would like to repaint but are fine with it for now. Changed the light fixtures, above the sink there used to be a "lovely" fluorescent box light. And the biggest change, besides the appliances, was the flooring which used to be a hideous multipurpose brown carpet. YUCK! We still have a wish list but when we talk about changing the sink (tired of the 30 year old stained one) it grows to while we're at it we might as well do the counters. But then why put nice new counters on the beat up old cabinets....etc. So, here we are and that is fine since the "wish list" seems a bit spendy right now.

One of my other favorite things is our pantry, below. It is big and has a counter that things like the bread machine can stay on. The best thing though are the doors that can close on any mess in there. We have talked about the possibility of knocking this area out and making an island to open the kitchen up to the living room. There I times I think I would love that but then I think I would really miss this pantry.


When we first moved in, we had this dining area as the play area. I figured that since I spent a lot of time in the kitchen what better place to have the boys play in. That only lasted a little while until we got tired of digging spilled food out of the carpet in the dining room. The little yellow room off of the dining room is our office. I will post pictures of that tomorrow because I am hoping to find some older pictures of that room too. The picture below is of a quilt wall hanging that my mom made for me for my birthday one year. I still really love it and it goes well in here. This room gets used A LOT, as most kitchens do. There are times when I wish it was a bit bigger but really, it is a great kitchen with lots of light and space. Thanks for coming to see our kitchen. Hopefully I can find the pictures I want to find for tomorrows tour.

No comments: