Monday, July 20, 2009

Our Little Taste of Foster Care

Last Tuesday night, after I got off work, I picked up a very sweet little girl from her daycare. Dean and I knew that it was just a five day thing while her foster family was going camping and I thought it was a good way to get our feet wet as foster parents. Talking to Dean about it a little tonight we both thought things went well. She was a very, very quiet little girl and didn't show much reaction to things. She would have times that she would smile or even laugh, usually with the boys, but overall was really quiet and just watched us. One of my favorite moments was when she walked over to the windows, pointed out to where the boys were playing, and said, "byz" with a smile. She hadn't said more than "no" and "mine" for the three days before.

I think the thing that surprised me (and Dean too) was how well the boys did with her. They were amazing! They were always looking out for her and showing her things around the house. They would find toys for her and show her how to play with them. They were so gentle and loving toward her. My heart nearly burst when Austin asked me if we were "going to keep her until she was all grown up." When I explained that she was only staying for a few days and that her foster family was going to pick her up on Sunday, he asked if we would get her back after a little while and then keep her. How sweet is that? It does make me wonder how the boys might handle kiddos coming and possibly going. I guess this is another thing to pray for and leave to God's perfect timing and knowledge. Only He knows what we can handle. I am just so thankful for the sweetness my boys showed and I know, even more now, that the little girl who is to be apart of our family is going to have three amazing protectors!

I think for Dean and I, the last five days showed us that we can herd four kids like we herd our three. Ha! It was a bit of an adjustment to have diapers to change again but it was also fun to watch her try things and watching her walk and run was about THE cutest thing ever. I think that it WAS a great way to get started and was a very positive five days for our whole family.

1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

I'm glad it went so well and that you got the encouragement you needed to go for it. Your boys really are so sweet and will be such great big brothers.