Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lets Head Downstairs...

So we are back at the entryway, heading downstairs. I LOVE these pictures of the boys. My original thought was to hang these in our bedroom but once I got them in their frames I knew they had to go here. They just fit so well and helps out this HUGE wall.


So this is standing on the bottom step looking straight ahead. When we rented out the basement we put a door that went from the left side of the laundry room door to the right side of the stairs. When we did laundry, we had to go into the renters space. Thankfully she worked pretty regular hours so I got pretty good at staying on top of the laundry so that I didn't have to disturb her. The bathroom back there is the one that the boys claim. They are also the lucky ones who get to clean it. It doesn't get perfectly clean but I don't have to deal with the mess that gets created by three young boys. Ha!

We found this sign while getting our Christmas tree a couple of years ago. I thought it was cute so Dean bought it for me and it now hangs in the laundry room. Last year for Mother's Day Dean redid the laundry room for me. (The old post of that is here) Below is a picture of the room "in use" today. It functions SO much better than the old one. Once again I wish we had been better about taking before and after pictures.

Back out into the hall way, the laundry room is on my left and the stairs are on my right. The door frame on the right is the toy closet, the boys' room is straight ahead, and the falmily room is the doorway on the left.


Below is one side of the toy closet, aka toy store. The other side of the closet has more shelves and more toys. They boys and I are going to sort through and get rid of some toys before school starts again. (We just went through the game closet upstairs and they did great getting rid of things!)
So here is their room. Jake had really wanted a space room so we found a really dark blue and then decided that we needed to add another color so that it wouldn't be a total cave in there. He had gotten a lot of different space posters for one of his birthdays so wall decor was a breeze. There are also planets hanging from the ceiling though I am ready to take those down. Saturn has already lost its rings, Jupiter fell down, and last night I noticed that Uranus is only half a globe.

Jake gets the upper bed, Austin is below, and we just moved Griff down here and he gets a mattress on the floor. They are doing great together so far though we are already seeing that the day is coming soon when Jake is going to want his own space.

The white shelves below are the storage place for all of Austin's creations. He loves, loves, loves to build things with Legos and Knex. They are usually some type of spaceship. The paper bag on the floor is filled with his other favorite type of creation...paper airplanes.

As I've said before, one of THE BEST things about this house is the storage. Every bedroom has walk-in closets. This one goes all the way under the stairs (down to the very last step!) The little curtain hides the storage of our winter stuff and other odds and ends that needed a home. There are shelves to the left and right of the door which hold all of the boys' clothes and their Legos and K'nex (that is so the little ones at playgroup can't get to the tiny toys). Oh, by the way, Griffen is doing his rockstar drummer thing in this picture.

Finally we come to the family room. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite rooms. Dean finally got his wish after this last Christmas and got recessed lights for in here. I finally got my wish for the wall of shelves. They aren't quite finished yet. We are still trying to figure out what we want to use for the counter top. We think we want to find some wood flooring (at the Re-Store) to put on it. I am just happy to have a place for our books, movies, and the boys' video games.

The windows down here are what the windows upstairs used to look like. Aluminum windows and no trim. The cupboards down here are so handy for craft stuff and art supplies for the boys (not that they are really into crafts, but I am ready should they want to make something. Ha!)

Below is the fireplace. Dean did the surround a couple of years ago. Before is was just two sheets of metal. And we now have our official baby gate around it just as required by the state. It is nice knowing the kids can't get too close to it now though because it gets REALLY HOT when there is a fire in it. Dean finished up the touch up painting today after I took pictures (I just realized this as I see a big white spot on the hallway wall next to the toy closet.)

So that is where we live. I hope you have enjoyed the tour of the inside. If I think about it I will try to get some pictures of the outside too.

No comments: